Contacts synchronization is a feature in Instagram that allows you to sync contacts from the phone. Such functionality will help you find people you want to follow. This feature will link your Instagram account to the contact list on your phone. In addition, the notifications and news feed will show you recommendations about contacts on Instagram.
Instagram will periodically sync your contacts with your phone's contacts list to its servers if you enable contacts syncing on your account. This will allow you to find any new contacts that you add later. You can also delete all your Instagram contacts and disable syncing. This will be discussed later.
A step-by-step guide will show you how to enable contact sync on Instagram. You can also find people using your contact list's phone number.
- Download the Instagram app for your Android or iPhone.
- Click on your profile icon in the navigation menu at the bottom to access your profile. It is located in the lower-right corner.
- Open to all - A pop-up menu will appear with various options. For example, the bottom of the page has an option to discover people.
- Connect contacts. Click the Connect button beside this option. For those who haven't connected their Instagram account to Facebook, Connect to Facebook is an alternative option.
- Allow contacts access - you will now be asked to authorize the Instagram app to access the contact list for syncing. Select the Allow access option in the pop-up box. You will be asked to confirm the request by your phone.
- To find your contacts on Instagram, refresh the page. After you have synced your contact lists, Instagram will search for accounts associated with the number of your contacts. Scroll down from the top of the screen to refresh the Discover people page suggestions. Then, search for the person you're looking for.
These steps allow you to activate contacts sync on your Instagram account. This will save all of your contacts on Instagram servers. They will also be updated periodically to search for new connections. In addition, you will be prompted by Instagram to follow people in your Contact List on your News Feed and Discover People page. These recommendations will be sent to your phone via notifications.
See also how to know if someone screenshots your Instagram story.
What to do if you're unable to find the person on Instagram by phone number
Here are possible reasons why you may not be able to find someone on Instagram using their phone number.
- It is possible that the person is not on Instagram.
- You should ensure that the number is saved in your contact list.
- The person may have connected another phone number to his/her Instagram account.
- You have misplaced the phone number you saved.
You can try other methods if you're still having trouble finding the person you are looking for on Instagram. However, we have provided some tips and techniques to help you find the profile of that person you are looking for.
- Find your friends by connecting to Facebook. Instagram offers another feature that allows you to connect your account to Facebook. This feature allows you to find your Facebook friends via Instagram. Suppose the person you're looking for is already on your account. In that case, your Facebook friend list will allow you to locate their Instagram profile. Here's a guide from Facebook.
- Follow the same steps for contacts syncing. Open the Instagram app, then go to your profile. Next, click on the menu button (three horizontal lines in the top-right corner) and select the Discover people option.
- You will now see the Connect to Facebook option at the top. Tap the Connect button. The app will ask to connect your Instagram account to Facebook if you have not yet. After that, refresh your suggestions on Discover People, and all of your Instagram friends' profiles will be displayed on Instagram.
- Search for the name of a person on Instagram directly Another way to locate a person is to search his/her name directly on Instagram. Click the Search tab, then click the search bar at the top. Enter the full name of your search subject. Instagram will display a list with the same name. Find the person you're looking for. To match you with the person, open each profile and view their photos and profile pictures (if they are public). If you cannot identify someone who has a private profile, please read this guide to view their full-size profile photo on Instagram.
- Search for the person you are looking for from the profile of a mutual friend. This is the last place to search Instagram for the person you are looking at. Are you a friend of the person you are looking for? You might have a mutual friend or even one of them. Go to their mutual friend profile and look at the following list to find them. To quickly search for their name, you can use the search function. If they are friends, you can check out their posts, comments, and stories highlights. The profile may have been tagged.
See also how to add Instagram to Tik Tok.
You can choose to disable the Instagram contact sync feature in your account settings. You can't find people on Instagram if you haven't disabled the feature. Here's how to do it:
- Open the Instagram app from your smartphone.
- Click the bottom-right corner to upload your profile picture.
- Click on the menu button (three lines parallel) to select the Settings option.
- Next, visit Accounts. There you will find Contacts for syncing. Simply click on the option and toggle the button to turn it off. That's it. Your Instagram account has successfully disabled contacts sync.
See also how to view Instagram stories without them knowing.